I had to comment on the opening forward to this book before even attempting a comment on the subsequent chapters because this idea of grace gripped me from the very start along with a keen revelation of my own false views on morality, sin and holiness. When the author of the forward quotes the book Christless Christianity (the name itself is a reproach), I am jerked back by the very tidy and moral picture of Satan taking over a city.
Things are not always as they seem.
The enemy is not so obvious as we are.
This opening forward was so reminiscent of The Screwtape Letters for me where we see the strategies of Satan personified and carried out: make them settle in their view of marriage, make them fall into the sin of pride of not being prideful, make them overindulge in innocent tea cakes, make them faithful to attend a church where the gospel is dead but no one realizes it, etc. In other words, let morality reign and the Gospel be defeated. Let orderliness and decorum dictate our norms and behavior but never let there be radical service and groaning surrender.
I have decided that I prefer the other. I have tasted orderliness and decorum, sweet morality and obedience yet without power..."having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof..?" I ALWAYS thought that scripture was speaking of someone else. Surely not me Lord! In no way do I desire to depart from a life of obedience nor morality. However, I do not wish to use them as my standard but rather a mere by-product of a life being lived full of Grace, Gospel grace. Is there any other kind? I do not merely want my children to obey me but to be compelled in their hearts to shun evil and do good. Yet to shun evil they must first know of its existence and the good which can and must powerfully overthrow it. I want them to be dirty in the fight, sweaty in the battle, waging righteous war for the One, True cause. I desire this over clean uniforms, neat manners and tidy behavior. I want them to be free to ask radical questions, to confront evil face to face and then slam the door on it; not for me to lock the door and tell them never to look behind it. I want them to CHOOSE. I want them to CHOOSE GRACE and GODLINESS, TRUTH and BEAUTY. I still desire Yes ma'am and No ma'am but not as a practiced art but out of the overflow of the heart. With God, all this is possible.

No comments:
Post a Comment